There are a lot of new researches being carried on to find natural ways to fight obesity and treat it if possible. Among such researches one has shown that Seaweed could hold the key to conquering obesity. This research shows that it can reduce fat uptake by more than 75 per cent. Now scientists at Newcastle University are adding the seaweed fiber to bread and launching trials to see if foods can be developed which can even help people lose weight.
If this trial becomes successful and yields enough positive results so as to allow seaweed to enter market in weight loss arena, it will be a major success towards finding a natural way to lose weight. Stay tuned till we update you about its progress or till we hear its final launch!
Although we do not encourage use of home medication or self-medication without your physician’s approval or prescription, we do like to share some age-old natural remedies specifically used in regions of Southeast Asia (specifically India) that have been shown to provide relief from common nasal problems. Let us take a look what ancient Indian books say about these natural remedies for common nasal problems.
1. If you often suffer from colds and cough, try drinking black tea with a tablespoon of honey, juice of ginger root and half a lemon. Both ginger and honey have antioxidant properties and when mixed together act as an excellent expectorant. Vitamin C rich lemon juice boost the immune system, and your body fights the cold.
2. Amla (Indian gooseberry) is also rich in vitamin C. The juice of one amla every day helps build strong immunity against infections.
3. Honey mixed with crushed tulsi (holy basil) leaves is yet another effective remedy for cough and the common cold. Tulsi’s beneficial compounds, known as phytochemicals, have antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial and immunity enhancing properties and will help defend you against disease. Diabetics may have to avoid honey.
4. Turmeric, too, helps relieve symptoms of the common cold. Try this time-tested recipe-add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to 1 cup of milk and boil it for a few minutes. Drink this hot brew twice-daily. Turmeric’s antioxidant and anti-infective properties help build your immunity against the common cold.
5. Nasal congestion calls for an effective measures like nasal douching. For this, flush your nose with a saline solution, where a teaspoon of salt is added to a cup of clean, pre-boiled water that is now lukewarm. It removes allergens and mucus from the nasal passage, providing temporary relief. Salinity in mouth also prevents growth of germs. A warm water gargle with salt solution (one level teaspoon of common salt in a glass of water) helps cure throat irritation.
6. Steam inhalation is another good way to clear a blocked nasal passage. Steam thins the mucus and helps the stuff gets out of the respiratory tract. Adding a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the water is also helpful. Eucalyptus oil decongests and helps unblock sinuses.
In a recent research done by a group of US researchers-it has been shown that Espresso, French Roast and other kinds of dark-roasted coffee is not harmful for your stomach as was previously believed because these roasts contain a substance that tells stomach to reduce the production of acid, according to that study. People who resist from enjoying that much-desired morning cup of coffee because of fear of stomach irritation can also take a sigh of relief because scientists have discovered the culprits behind that heartburn and stomach pain in every cup.
The research may lead to a new generation of stomach-friendly brews with the rich taste and aroma of regular coffee. One of the researchers said the process used to produce stomach-friendly coffee, including some that scientists have linked to benefits such as protection against diabetes and heart disease.
Well, good enough news for coffee lovers! You won’t need to skip that morning sip of your favorite dark coffee now!
We have discussed about the harmful effects of various fairness products in our previous post. Let us take a look at the natural ways to make your skin look healthy, glowing and flawless.
Face is one part of your body that reflects our entire health and how we are keeping with our eating habits. Some highly trained aestheticians can clearly tell from your face and skin how well you are eating. Poor nutrition clearly leads to skin flaws which tend to occur even more frequently as we age. Therefore, it is essential to eat a balanced diet for keeping the skin radiant and toned. However, in today’s modern world, we always do not have enough time to keep track of what we eat and how much we eat. To overcome this, and still obtain essential nutrients, one should take vitamins and supplements. In fact, you should try to incorporate these vitamins and supplements in your daily routine even if you are taking a healthy diet. The reason for doing this is, the quality of food products we use might not be good enough to provide us the essential vitamins and supplements that we need to keep ourselves healthy and fit.
Before you take any vitamins or supplements, make sure these have adequate amounts of essential nutrients that you need on a daily basis. For this, one should refer to the daily recommended amounts of various vitamins and minerals on an individual basis. Men, women, children and elderly all have different age and gender specific nutrient requirements, and one should take these supplements accordingly. Vitamins and supplements that provide that best percentages and without any harmful additives yield the best results for your skin and rest of the body. For an instance, vitamins and supplements have one of the best mixes of such nutrients as these are prepared in high quality and avoid use of sub-standard raw materials. These ensure purity, quality and Good Manufacturing Practice.
To see the results, you should continue taking these vitamins and supplements at least for four weeks as sometimes we are already depleted in such nutrients and body takes at least that much of time to replenish the stores. So, are you ready for getting a glowing skin from within?
Fair complexion is admired almost everywhere, which makes us inclined towards use of various fairness products. Skin lightening and brightening strategies used by various fairness brands make us target of such products. It is true that the sunscreen contents of fairness creams may prevent tanning of the skin to some extent by preventing the secretion of skin coloring pigment, melanin. By this, these products can make a difference in shades of skin on their regular use. However, when these products are discontinued, the original complexion appears back.
Majority of these products do not completely disclose the ingredients and the percentage of contents present in such products. To add to the things, even we are not bothered to read about these ingredients on product labels most of the times. Even if we read these, many of us do not understand what they all are meant to do.
It has been recorded that most of the skin lightening products contain steroids like corticosteroids and clobetasol propionate, which are advisable to be used only on a dermatologist’s prescription. These high-strength steroids might give faster and better results, however, these products containing high-strength steroids also suppress body’s natural steroids. This may end up with some other side effects like permanent stretch marks, darkening of the skin, pimples, skin allergy, hypersensitivity to sun exposure and disfiguration, etc.
Many faster acting fairness creams also contain hydroquinone, which is a chemical having bleaching properties that can adversely harm the skin and may lead to sun sensitivity as well as white patches. Products which contain more than 4% hydroquinone can severely damage the skin.
We should understand that fairness of skin is purely genetic, and none of these products can make a person permanently fair. Therefore, it is advisable to better take care of your skin with natural and healthy ways, like eating and drinking healthy foods. Some of the homemade face-packs which include aloevera, honey, milk, turmeric, lemon juice etc. may help in lightening darker skin tones without causing any side effects. We will discuss about the foods for a healthier skin in our next discussion.